What is it?
A structured 12 month development programme designed to provide you with a holistic insight and practical application, into all areas of a running a successful bar.
Is it for me?
If you have a passion to provide great service, and love the idea bar tending this could be your perfect route to a career in hospitality. Whether you are a graduate, college leaver or looking for a career change, the Rudding Park Bar Academy could kick start your career.
What to Expect
The programme is split into four levels, each containing 5-8 modules. There are theory & practical sessions one day every two weeks, alongside workplace training. All learning resources and theory tests to be administered via Flow Hospitality.
We have a maximum of four trainees per year, ideally starting around July/August time. All trainees meet monthly with the Training, Learning and Development Manager who designs the programme, mentors the trainees to ensure continued development.
You will be set objectives as you experience each department. Ad hoc projects will also be set to support your learning and growth.
Module (months 1-3)
- Health & Safety – (General H&S, Measures & Weights Act 1985/Licensing Act 2003) - theory
- Product Knowledge Level One (spirits, wine, beer & cider) - theory
- Equipment & Techniques Level One – theory & practical
- Coffee & Tea Level One – theory & practical
- Service – theory & practical
- Order of Service & Round Building – theory & practical
Level One Test – Theory & Practical
Student receives Rudding Park engraved bar blade on completion.
Module Two (months 3-6)
- Product Knowledge Level Two (wine, beer & cider) – theory with tastings
- Coffee & Tea Level Two – theory & practical
- Cellar Management Level One (kegs, gas & post-mix) – theory & practical
- Cocktail Knowledge (classic & popular cocktails) – theory
- Cocktails (introduction to current cocktail menu) – theory
- Sales, Upselling & Communication – theory & practical
Level Two Test - Theory & Practical
Student receives classic cocktail book on completion.
Module Three (months 6-9)
- Product Knowledge Level Three (gin, vodka, tequila, rum, whiskey, brandy) – theory with tastings
- Cellar Management Level Two (line cleaning & troubleshooting problems) – theory & practical
- Techniques & Equipment Level Two – theory & practical
- Cocktail Knowledge Level Two (classic & popular cocktails) – theory
- Flavour Science: Writing & Balancing Cocktails - theory
Level Three Test – Theory & Practical
Student receives trip to Distillery/Brewery on completion.
Module Four (months 9-12):
- Product Knowledge Level Four (vermouths, fortified wine, amaro, bitters, liqueurs, other) – theory with tastings
- Cocktail Knowledge Level Three (classic & popular cocktails) – theory
- Creating Signature Cocktails & Working to a Brief (concept, theme, structured creativity) – theory
- Unlocking Flavour (manipulating ingredients to extract different flavours) – theory and practical
- Cocktail Competitions (understanding brands and storytelling) – theory & practical
- Distillation – theory & practical
Level Four Test - Theory & Practical
During the year all trainees complete a Management and Leadership Course, run by Dale Carnegie. This is a three phase programme over six months.
Fixed term, full time, 40-hour contract.
In addition, you will be entitled to enhanced pay and a share of the tronc (tips, paid quarterly) You will also be eligible for the Rudding Park team discounts and work perks.
On successful completion of the programme you will receive a Rudding Park Bar Academy graduation certificate and a one-on-one gin making session to produce a bottle of your own personalised gin.
Throughout the programme you will have acquired insight and hands-on experience of all areas which go into running a successful bar. You will also be fast tracked through the recruitment process for any suitable at Rudding Park vacancies.